Institute
History

An Institute with tradition


SINCE 2001

PROF. DR.-ING. LUDGER OVERMEYER

As successor to Professor Hager, who has retired, Professor Overmeyer took over the management of the institute in October 2001, which was renamed Institute for Transport and Automation Technology.

In the course of the new appointment of the institute management, a new orientation of the tasks of the institute was defined as of October 2001 in order to adapt to the changing needs in industry and education. With the start of Prof. Overmeyer's work, the Institute of Transport and Automation Technology is now working in three fields.

In the Optronics group, the institute researches the production technology of optoelectronic systems. A wide range of structuring and printing processes are used here to apply light-conducting structures to two- and three-dimensional substrates. In addition, research is carried out on the integration of optoelectronic systems. This includes optical data transmission as well as the production of laser-active polymer fibers.

Within the scope of the research focus Transport Technology, tasks for the automation of conveyor systems, from the necessary control technology to new methods in communication technology and data processing are also processed in addition to belt conveyor technology.

Furthermore, in the research group Automation Technology, the institute is working on questions concerning automation and control engineering. This includes the development of control systems for production plants and automatic assembly lines.

1985 - 2001

PROF. DR.-ING. MANFRED HAGER

Under Prof. Hager, measurements on belt conveyors in all parts of the world, development and consulting work in the conception and design of belt conveyors and of the conveyor belts used in them were carried out, and step by step the overall knowledge of all questions of belt or conveyor technology was extended and deepened. In certain applications it is desirable, not least from an environmental point of view, to completely enclose the material to be conveyed by the conveyor belt on the conveyor line. Fundamental experimental and theoretical investigations have been carried out on the operating behaviour of such hose belt conveyors.

Finally, the Institute of Conveying Technology also dealt with the field of processing machines for raw and residual materials. Such machines work together in complete plants with conveyor systems which feed them the material to be processed and convey the extracted end product, e.g. sand or gravel after a sieving process.

1968-1985

PROF. DR.-ING. HANS-HEINZ OEHMEN (1969-1985)

Also under the successors Prof. Wehmeier, Prof. Oehmen, the outstanding position of the institute in the field of belt conveyor technology was constantly expanded.

PROF. DR.-ING. KARL-HEINZ WEHMEIER (1968)


1935-1968

PROF. DR.-ING. DR.-ING. E. H. ALBERT VIERLING

[Translate to English:] Prof. Vierling, der vor seiner Berufung Dozent für Bergwerks- und Hüttenmaschienen an der Bergakademie Clausthal war, verlagerte als berufener Nachfolger den Schwerpunkt von den bisher vorwiegend behandelten Hebezeugen auf das Gebiet der Stetigförderer und ergänzte das Arbeitsgebiet durch Fragen der zweckmäßigen Organisation des Förderwesens in Produktionsbetrieben, Lagern, Häfen und Bergwerksbetrieben. Das Gebiet der Konstruktion, der Berechnung und des Baus der einzelnen Fördergeräte wurde so zum umfassenderen der Fördertechnik ausgeweitet und eine Umbenennung des Instituts in Lehrstuhl und Institut für Fördertechnik vorgenommen.

 

Etwa ab 1950 nahm das Gebiet der Förderung von Massengütern wie Kohle, Abraum, Erz mit Gurtförderern den Hauptanteil der Forschungstätigkeit des Instituts ein. Ein Forschungsauftrag des „Deutschen Braunkohlen-Industrie-Vereins“ zur Ermittlung der Bewegungswiderstände von Gurtförderern legte den Grundstein für zahlreiche weitere Forschungsvorhaben auf dem Gebiet der Gurtfördertechnik. Eine enge Zusammenarbeit mit Herstellern und Betreibern derartiger Anlagen bei der Konzipierung und Durchführung der Forschungsvorhaben stellte von Anfang an sicher, dass die Forschungsergebnisse praxisverwertbar waren und die Entwicklung des Anlagenbaus entscheidend voranbrachten. 

THE BEGINNINGS IN 1901-1935

PROF. DR.-ING. DR.-ING. E. H. LUDWIG KLEIN

The institute originated from the chair of general mechanical engineering, whose owner, Geheimrat Klein, gave lectures on the following areas from 1901:

  • General Mechanical Engineering
  • Machine drawing
  • Lifting gear and pumps
  • Dewatering, conveying and blower machines
  • Construction machinery

In addition to general mechanical engineering subjects, the then important conveyor technology disciplines were already represented. In 1910 a new lecture "Conveyor systems for bulk goods" was introduced. This was the first time that the later main focus of the institute's work and research became apparent. The importance of the conveyor technology subjects in the entire field of mechanical engineering increased considerably in the following period, so that in 1930 the chair was renamed from Privy Councillor Klein to Chair and Institute of Conveyor Systems.

CONTACT US