Logo Leibniz Universität Hannover
Logo: ITA
Logo Leibniz Universität Hannover
Logo: ITA
  • Zielgruppen
  • Suche
 

Beginnings: 1901-1935

 Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr.-Ing. E. h. Ludwig Klein

The Institute originated from the chair in Machine Research, held by Privy Councilor Klein. In 1901 Klein began lecturing the following subjects:

  • Machinery studies
  • Technical drawing
  • Hoisting gear and pumps
  • Mine drainage, conveyors and blower machines
  • Construction machinery

In addition to courses in general mechanical engineering, the then relevant subject of conveyor engineering was also taught. In 1910, a new course called "Conveyors for bulk goods" was introduced. This was the first time that the Institute's future work and research focus became apparent. The importance of the subjects of conveyor engineering in the entire field of mechanical engineering increased considerably, so that in 1930, Privy Councilor Klein's Chair was renamed to Chair and Institute for Conveying Systems.

         

Expansion: 1935-1968

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr.-Ing. E. h. Albert Vierling

Prof. Vierling, who before being appointed was a lecturer for mining and metallurgical machinery at the Bergakademie Clausthal, shifted the focus from the hitherto primary topic of hoists to the area of ​​permanent conveyors, and supplemented the work area with issues regarding the appropriate organization of materials handling in production operations, warehouses, ports and mining operations. The area of ​​construction, calculation and construction of individual conveyors was thus extended to the wider area of conveyor technology, resulting in the renaming of the institute to the Chair and Institute for Conveyor Technology.

From about 1950 onwards, the area of conveying ​​bulk goods such as coal, colliery waste and ore with belt conveyors took on the main part of the research activities of the institute. A research assignment commissioned by the "Deutscher Braunkohlen-Industrie-Verein" to determine the motion resistances of belt conveyors laid the foundation for numerous further research projects in the field of belt conveyor technology. Close cooperation with manufacturers and operators of such systems during the design and implementation of the research projects ensured from the outset that the research results were practical and that the development of plant construction was greatly promoted.

         

Consolidation: 1968-1985

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Karl-Heinz Wehmeier (1968)

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Hans-Heinz Oehmen (1969-1985)

The exceptional position of the institute in the field of conveyor belt technology was constantly expanded under the successors Prof. Wehmeier and Prof. Oehmen too.

 

Consolidation: 1985-2001

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Manfred Hager (1985-2001)

Under Prof. Hager, measurements were carried out on belt conveyor systems in all parts of the world, development and consultancy work undertaken in the design of belt conveyors and conveyor belts used therein, and the overall knowledge about all belt or belt conveyor technology issues expanded and deepened step by step. In certain applications it is desirable, not least from an environmental point of view, to completely surround the material to be conveyed on the conveyor line through the conveyor belt. Basic experimental and theoretical investigations were carried out on the operating behavior of such hose belt conveyors.

Finally, the field of processing machines for raw materials and residual materials was also addressed at the Institute for Conveying Technology. Such machines work together in conveyor systems with conveying devices that supply the material to be treated and convey the final obtained product, for example, sand or gravel after a sieving process.

Since 2001

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Ludger Overmeyer 

In the course of the reorganization of the institute management, a reorientation of the tasks of the institute was undertaken in October 2001 in order to adapt to the changing needs in industry and training. Three areas of expertise are being worked on at the Institute of Transport and Automation Technology since Prof. Overmeyer took over.

In the Optronics Group, the institute is carrying out research in the production technology of optoelectronic systems. Various structuring and printing processes are used here in order to apply light-conducting structures onto two- and three-dimensional substrates. In addition, the integration of optoelectronic systems is being studied. This includes optical data transmission as well as the production of laser-active polymer fibers.

Within the scope of transport technology, the institute also deals with belt conveyors as well as tasks for the automation of conveyor systems, including the necessary control technology as well as new processes in communication technology and data processing.

in the two other task assignments as well.